I was a die-hard fan of WordPress form builder plugin Gravity Forms until I happened to meet Formidable Pro that is not only the most powerful form builder but also a matchless tool to build frontend data display and sorting system in WordPress. Undoubtedly Formidable Pro blows out the boundaries offering truly rare functionality and my tilt to it is evidently natural. In my comparisons, I had shown Formidable Pro triumphing over Gravity forms and let Gravity Forms eat humble pie. I have been hailing Formidable Pro for a long time, and I am still stuck to my guns.
Notwithstanding, for a couple of days back, there is one thing that I have realized, and that is, Formidable Pro is not a clear winner if it is compared to Gravity Forms. When it comes to form building capabilities and data-management system and pricing as well, Formidable Pro wins but there are many other things, Formidable Pro doesn’t live up to.
- Total Fields
- Drag and Drop Builder
- Post Creation with Custom Fields
- Creating muti-column layout without custom CSS
- Conditional Logic
- Rich Text Field
- Embed one form into another
- Pricing fields
- Repeateting inline field
- Multipage form
- Collapsible Sectioning
- Progress bar in multipage
- Backend Entry management
- CSV import /export
- Selective import / export for entries
- Import export forms with settings and views
- Visual Form styler
- Conditionally show hide submit button
- Limiting number of entries
- Form scheduling
- Multi autoresponders
- Dynamically populate data in email
- Dynamically populate one form data to another
- Advanced post creation
- Display, edit and search form entries on frontend
- Aweber addon
- Mailchimp addon
- Twilio Addon
- Highrise addon
- Campaign Monitor
- Agile CRM
- Capsule CRM
- Help Scout
- Hip Chat
- Paypal Payments Standard
- PayPal Payments Pro
- User Registration
- Zoho CRM
- With a paid addon
- With a paid addon
- With 3rd party plugin
- Custom code required
- Custom code required
In this post, I want to raise those points where Gravity Forms is better than Formidable Pro.
Gravity Forms is 100% un-encrypted – use it in as many site as you like – no matter, which license you have bought
Gravity Forms, first and foremost, is a 100% GPL compliant plugin that comes without any encryption. That means regardless of which license you buy, you can use it on any number of WordPress websites. On the other hand, Formidable Pro is packed with strong encryption, and you need to buy developer license to use it on unlimited websites. If you are willing to buy a single site license, you can’t use it on more than one domain. The plugin authenticates the license key to get activated.
Forms, created with Gravity Forms, comes with clean and more compatible CSS
Secondly, Gravity Forms created forms are much more CSS friendly with themes if compared to Formidable Pro forms. Gravity Forms styling is minimal, and it is very worry-free to adjust form styling with the help of custom CSS. However, it is quire different that Formidable Pro idiot-proof styling options make it beginners friendly.
Gravity Forms can be integrated with several other services, including PayPal Pro, Stripe and WooCommerce
And the most appealing thing that makes all the difference is availability of plenty of precious Gravity Forms addons. When it comes to addon, Gravity Forms steals the limelight of Formidable Pro. Variety of addon – to use Gravity Forms with several other important services like WooCommerce, Stripe, PayPal (PayPal pro) Twilio, Zoho and lots of email marketing services, including but not limited to GetResponse, ActiveCampaign, AWeber, MailChimp – let it hold the number-one position among all WordPress builder plugins.
It is not that Formidable Pro doesn’t have addons. It has currently several addons but it is still a far cry from Formidable Pro to reach out Gravity Forms in terms of addon. I admit that Formidable Pro has pushed the boundaries of the way in which WordPress works, offering frontend form data display, filter and edit and with this plugin, this kind of the data-management system can be done with it shelling out only a few bucks. However, one thing can’t be ruled out that building a data-management application with Formidable Pro is not beginners friendly at all. One, who is not an advanced WordPress user can hardly make use of Formidable Pro ‘View” section until he scratches his head for hours.
Gravity Forms data display addon (paid) is far easier to use and newbie friendly.
A new 3rd party addon is now available for Gravity Forms that is designed to set up frontend form data display without any complicated setup requirements. This addon offers easy options to do so. With the help of this addon (GravityView), you can display, search, edit and delete Gravity Forms entries on WP pages. This way, Gravity Forms ends the reign of Formidable Pro regarding data display, but it costs you a pretty penny.
When Gravity Forms is preferable to Formidable Pro
- If affordability is not a concern for you and you are ready to pay yearly subscription charges ( it is not the case with Formidable Pro)
- If you are not an advanced WP user and you want frontend data display such as listing website, directory website or any website where data should be gathered, edit and filtered from frontend (additional paid addon is required for this functionality)
- If you want to deploy plugin on unlimited sites buying only a single site license
- If building forms in your primary requirement and you don’t care for advanced form building subtleties
- If you are not an advanced WordPress user and can’t smoothly get command over Formidable Pro View feature (in this condition you can use Gravity Form’s data display addon Gravity View)
- If you want to integrate your form builder with several email marketing services such as GetResponse, ActiveCampaign, iContact etc
- If you want to integrate your WordPress form builder with several CRM services such as Agile CRM, HighRise, ZOHO etc
- If you want to integrate your Form builder with advanced payment gateways like Stripe, Authorize.net, PayPal Pro etc
- If you want to connect your form builder with WooCommerce
When Formidable Pro is preferable to Gravity Forms
- If you don’t want to pay yearly for updates (however, you need to pay for support on a yearly basis)
- If you need an extremely advanced form plugin that boasts of the best drag and drop form creator with extensive options.
- If you want to style your forms without knowing CSS
- If you are a WordPress expert who can be readily familiar with Formidable Pro data management mechanism.
- If you don’t need to integrate your form with Email marketing campaigns like GetResponse, ActiveCampaign, iContact, ConstantContact etc
- If you don’t give a damn to payment gateway integrations such as Stripe, PayPal Pro etc.